Thursday, April 20, 2006

Esta lloviendo

I put down the Software Engineering book because it is so dull and boring that I might easily have drifting into sleep unawares. So I switched to Spanish, and while tweaking my vocabulario, I thought of an old friend I haven't thought of in years. Her name was Sonia Hernandez, and she was in my squadron back when I was in the Navy. I was a young E4, new to the shop (I was an electrician) after spending an eternity in 'the Line'. Hernandez was this young, skinny, stoner chick who also happened to be an electrician. She was so spacy, I wondered how she made it through electrician school. I ended up taking her and some other people under my wing, trying to turn raw recruits into squared-away, top-notch sailors. Of course, this was difficult for me because I was a little bit of a slacker back then (unlike now) and I had to often push myself harder than I normally would because they were very impressionable. Anyway, Sonia was the only female among that class of sailors I tried to mold into my very image, and she's the only one I remember. She was about as un-Hispanic as you could think of -she was thoroughly a white girl, with no vestiges of her Latina heritage remaining. She only dated white guys, and one weekend, she went off and married one that she had been seeing for a while. Crazy. She was cool though. I don't know what happened to her, because I left the squadron in less than a year, but for some reason, my Spanish book made me think of her and all the crazy conversations we had while sitting on top of an aircraft in 110 degree weather. Sonia, if you're out there, I hope you are happy, still married, and have a house full of love and laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home