Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Scourge of the Ignorant

I am struggling to control myself, but alas, I have already failed. In my Religion, Philospohy and Ethics course I have had to check some people rather forcefully for their rather backward comments on this week's current topic, "Does God exist?" Of course, the most backward and embarrassing comments are being made by Christians. Arrrrrrgh!!! My friend Jalana told me a few weeks ago, "It's the Christians that make you want to cuss." True dat. These people make themselves as individuals an Christians as a collective look pitiful, pathetic and foolish. I don't like to flash on people, but hey, a man's got to follow his convictions. I am just really sick of listening to fools spew their nonsense and just rolling my eyes and keeping quiet. So I have unleashed the beast. The requirements of the discussion (which is being conducted online in a forum setting that each class member may post to and reply to other's posts as well) are to argue for or against the existence of God using "impartial and unemotional, deliberate and considered reasoning." But of course, there was immediately a flood of "You need to trust in Jesus because the Bible says to" and "I believe and I God and I don't have to proof it. I have faith." Well shoot. That's all well and good in church on Sunday ("Giving honor to God, who is the head of my life...") but this is higher education here. Can you break out of dogma and sentimentalism for a minute, please?! This is why religion causes so much trouble in the world. Not because the religions require conflict, but because their adherents (on all sides, I'm sure) are often so simple minded and obnoxious that they react badly and any dialogue becomes a monologue. Jesus, help us. This is a crappy post. I'm just frustrated. It's 2 in the morning and I am trying to get all my work done while my kids are in the 'angelic mode'. But these crackpots are ruining what could easily be the most stimulating course I've had in years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home