Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Let's Roll, Fat Boy!!

Ha Ha. Cinnabon and Garcia's Pizza and Grandma's cookies and Lizard Blizzard have had the last laugh. I devoured them them in battle, yet they still have won the war. I'm overweight. I have higher than healthy levels of cholesterol. My body is breaking down. And I've done it to myself.

Since I has a youth, I was ultra lean and skinny. My momma used to call me 'pencil-butt' because I was so narrow. I always favored the streamlined, rippled physique of Bruce Lee rather than the intimidating bulk of a Ah-nold. And boy I could eat! I could eat as much as I wanted and never gain an ounce. Beware the young son or nephew whose favorite phrase seems to be, "Are you gonna finish that?" I was always skinny, and I thought I always would be.

I wrestled all four years in high school. I wrestled at the 112 lb. weight class as a Freshman, 126 as a Sophomore, 140 as a Junior, and 145 as a Senior. (Reminiscing on all the enemies conquered and subdued bring a smile to my lips, but I must not digress!)

Many years and calories later, my metabolism has betrayed me. I know all young men labor under the illusion of their own invincibility, but man. When the reality hit me, I refused to believe it. Now, I weigh 231 lbs. That's more than I ever imagined myself weighing. I remember in the Navy my weight had crept up to 180, and I was like, I'll never hit 200. Ever. Yah, right.

I have been in consistently poor healthy for the last 4 months. I know I need to make some changes on my end, or I am going to cut my life short and even the years I have left will be full of waiting rooms, tests, and bad news, instead of music, love and laughter. And so, my wife and I have taken the plunge, and we are going to do the easiest and hardest thing it is for human beings to do. We are going to change. We are going to change our eating habits and our fitness habits. We actually started last Tuesday, and we are both seeing positive results. I am going to lose this weight. This isn't me. People meeting me now for the first time are probably like, "What a jolly fat man!" That's dead. This guy is going to amaze and astound yet again. I guarantee it, like my name was Joe Namath. I post this declaration on my blog so that the world might know, and see, and perhaps draw inspiration. There are a lot of overweght people in this country, but if I can do it, it might encourage others to do it as well. Take the journey with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home