Monday, March 20, 2006

Once More, to the Breach

Final Exams are upon me. I believe I am sitting pretty after a very tough quarter. I had

  • CIS 267 - Visual Basic Programming
  • CIS 415 - Systems Analysis and Design
  • HUM 300 - History and Methods of Science
  • POL 300 - Contemporary International Problems


This was a tough quarter, but barring catastrophe, I should earn A averages in all of them. If I can just get through these finals. Oh, and depending on what I get on the research paper for POL 300. I meant to blog that. I meant to title it: 'Oh, the Irony'. But I've been too busy to blog.

So what's the great irony? Well, as anyone who knows me can attest, I have the notoriously bad habit of writing my papers at the last minute. I've done it for years -decades even (geesh I'm getting old). What keeps me still doing it is the magnificent success I've enjoyed. I can't remember not getting an A on a better. I cannot recall not being the best writer in a class. What others couldn't posit in a month of rough drafts, I usually key into in my only draft. But this time, I made the effort to buck the trend. I actually started on the paper several days in advance. And when I finished it, I was not impressed. Ever since my old roommate Sheldon came up with his famous dictum ("If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS!") I've made it a guiding principle of my writing. However, this paper left me wanting. I know good writing and great writing when I read it, and this... just left me unimpressed. Figure that! That is the LAST (and probably first) time I EVER do things the conventional way. When I feel that impending deadline, the juices start flowing and like the Lord God Almighty creating the ordered universe out of the chaotic void, I fabricate masterpieces out of fragmented and often contradictory thoughts. I turned that paper in 8 days ago, and have not received the grade. What if I don't get an A on it? The one time I try to do things the way they supposedly ought to be done, what if it bites me on the rear. That would be the ultimate irony.

Anyway, I have to take some exams, so I need to study rather than blog. I am soooo ready to matriculate, Lord! And this next term might be the toughest one yet. I am tentatively taking


  • CIS 305 - PL-SQL
  • CIS 421 - Software Engineering
  • MAT 300 - Statistics
  • HUM 400 - Philosophy and World Religions


Plus I'm supposed to teach myself enough Spanish to pass the CLEP. This is going to be one wild, crazy ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home