Friday, December 09, 2005

The Outcome is the Same

When you don't know where to begin, any old place will do. I got a 95 on my paper, the one I started on its due date. I'm pleased and disgusted with myself. I've got to get out of that habit. One day it is really going to bite me in the behind. Oh well. After we turned in our papers and did a quick finals review, Prof. Clark turned over the class to me and I lectured/conducted a lab in web design and HTML for my classmates, who are all business majors, not IT majors. It went pretty well, although there are definitely some things I will change the next time I am at the podium. I got positive feedback from everyone, but I am so critical of myself that I couldn't get overly excited. Still, how many students get to teach their classmates and professor? That was pretty special.

This is finals week, and out of four, I have taken one so far. I will take a second later today (in my Oracle course), and do my Sociology one this weekend. The only one then remaining will be on Tuesday. I need to focus just for a few more days, then maybe I can vegetate. Next quarter doesn't start until January 9th. I need to put up a tree, and maybe decorate the exterior with Christmas lights. I dunno though. I wonder if we can afford it. Things are getting a little tight around here. I know that is a relative term, but for this household, it is just a cold fact. Do I need to jack up my electric bill for artifice? To participate in something I don't even believe in? Getting a tree was a major concession for me. I didn't want to perpetuate the soup sandwich mythology of Christmas, but I allowed a tree for my children's sake. I still don't go all overboard, and there's no way in hell I'm going into debt buying gifts for people (like I see so many people doing). I don't know. We bought a bunch of stuff last year after Christmas when it was dirt cheap, and know, I need to evaluate whether we can afford to actually take them out of their pretty packages and use them. This house costs a lot to heat. Homeowners associate fees are due the first week of Jan., which means 400 bones gone. Both the car and the van have been in the shop recently for significant work, and the kids have been sick. The doctor's visits and medicine are not cheap. To top it off, my wonderful school is hassling me for more money, like they don't charge enough already. Turns out, a Pell Grant I thought I was getting is not coming, so the amount I have to come up with has increased. Great.

Still, I am not depressed, not in a funk. Just looking and analyzing. Can't bury my head in the sand and ignore it. I am the head of this household, I need to be prepared for whatever may come. If lack comes, let it come. If prosperity comes, let it come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home