Friday, January 13, 2017

So Far, So Good

Two weeks into 2017 and I am doing pretty well about keeping my resolutions. Spoiler alert: this post will be a little personal.​

I'm 44 years old, with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. In 2016, I was put on insulin by my PCP, who was alarmed at blood sugar levels that I had allowed myself to get used to. Thank God for Cigna's incentives to get health screens, and thank God for Cigna providing a team of nurses come to the downtown Chattanooga office to take away any excuses not to get this important task done. Thank God for the particular nurse that took my vitals, who was warm and kind and friendly and deft with the needles (hallelujah). When she saw my numbers, her eyes grew serious and sad. Small talk ceased. "I'm going to talk to you like you were my own son...", she began. "These numbers are bad. Bad bad. You have kids? You want to be around to see your grand kids? You want to be confined to a wheel chair because you had to have your feet amputated? GET THESE NUMBERS UNDER CONTROL!!!" I don't remember her name, but I thank God for the wake up call. After long stretches of avoiding doctor visits (because I knew the news was going to be bad), I found an excellent, engaging care provider (shout-out to Kathy Dodd, Nurse Practitioner) and started bringing my numbers down. Thank God for Kathy Dodd, since I am counting my blessings as I write.

So finishing out 2016, I had cut back drastically on meat, eggs and dairy consumption (the main sources of cholesterol), cut back on refined sugars (which by definition diabetics have difficulty getting out of our systems), and got off my butt and strove to be more active. I kind of went off the wagon a little during the holidays, but I think I have reached my mental tipping point. It is more natural to eat healthy than to eat the typical American diet. I don't think of it as a chore. I'm more mindful, I think is what I'm trying to say. And that's a good thing. With the holidays over and 2017 underway, I am focused on eating healthy and being active. Every now and then I will eat some meat or have a brownie, but I am miles away from where I was before my health screen. I hope others are sticking to their commitments and making good choices. We should encourage each other. We should give positive reinforcement to each other. If you stumble, just rise again and get back on track. Maybe we should set new month's resolutions instead of new year's resolutions. This can help us level set when we find ourselves falling short of our goals.

I will end with this: my 1/2/17 weight was 235.6. My weight today is 228.2. It is working. Slowly but surely. My goal is to see 199 on the scale this year. Yes, I'm putting it out there. So far, so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home