Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Impact of Telecommuting, A Personal Perspective

​I started on a new team on 10/3, leaving Enterprise Reporting in CIMA and moving to the Portfolio Delivery Office in IT's Core Operations. After more than 4 years in Cigna, this was a welcome change, even though I am not altogether sure of the finer points this role will require. Ah well, all things will be revealed in the fullness of time.

One thing that has become very clear after just a few weeks, however, is the impact of working from my home. In my long career, this is a first. I have had opportunities to work remotely one day a week, two days a week, even as many days a week as I wanted, at my discretion. I've had no option at all. When I worked as a field service engineer at Siemens, I had no central office to speak of, as my job consisted of roving from hospital to hospital fixing imaging equipment like x-ray machines, CT machines, etc. My work van was my office. The rad tech lounges of hospitals throughout Georgia, Northern Florida, and South Carolina were my makeshift offices. My setup now is totally different. And I'm still getting adjusted.

One thing I have immediately noticed is the cost savings. My commute into the Chattanooga office was 46 miles, round trip. I used to have an Acura MDX, which, though stylish, got only 16 or 17 mpg. It also required premium fuel. Traded her in for a fuel-sipping Mario Kart-like handling Nissan Versa Note. That cut costs significantly. But teleworking has been even more profound. Fuel costs are drastically reduced. Dining out (when I should have been brown bagging it anyway) is greatly curtailed. My painstakingly cultivated closet full of plaid and striped oxfords and pastel polos? Who will see them? I imagine over time I will spend less on clothing, and less on laundry. The optimistic way to view this is to see this as a significant pay raise. And that isn't everything. But it is something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home