Friday, April 21, 2017

Luxury

Did you know April is National Poetry Month? Did you know that most of us are poets, even if we never put it to paper? Maybe you have confined yourself to the trite and true "roses are red" genre. Maybe you are a fan of the bawdy limerick (There once was a man from Nantucket...). Maybe you take long walks, find a shade tree and try your hand at the haiku. Maybe you re-write the lyrics in your head to your favorite songs. Or maybe you prefer to just read the works of others. No problem. It's all good, as the young people say.
I stumbled across an opinion piece in the Washington Post by Garrison Keillor, who is as delight a writer as any I've ever read. I commend this piece for your pleasure here. Won't take you more than a couple of minutes. It is how I discovered the existence of National Poetry Month.
The first poem that comes to mind when I think of poetry is usually Luxury, by Nikki Giovanni. For those of you who have never been exposed to it, I hope it moves you. To those who already a familiar, I hope your souls is warmed, as when you unexpectedly bump into an old friend.

Luxury
i suppose living
in a materialistic society
luxury
to some would be having
more than what you need
living in an electronic age seeing
the whole world by pushing a button
the nth degree might perhaps be
adequately represented by having
someone there to push
the buttons for you
i have thought if only
i could become rich and famous I would
live luxuriously in New York knowing
famous people eating
in expensive restaurants calling
long distance anytime I want 
but you held me
one evening and now I know
the ultimate luxury
of your love
If you are up to it, share your poetry, or share poems that you love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home