Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rule Number 1

No matter what the situation, the first rule is DON'T PANIC. Even when it is clearly time to panic, panicking is even more clearly the last thing you should be. This may seem to be a paradox, but it isn't. I'm reminded of some preacher, who when asked how much he prayed said, "I pray for two hours every morning, unless I'm really busy that day. On those days, I pray for four hours." See - the counter-intuitive thing to do is not necessarily paradoxical. Always remain calm, always keep your wits about you. As my man Ron Burgundy would say, keep your head on a swivel.

Today was a shocking day for me, because a member of my software development team announced his resignation. Our team's fate is already uncertain, because of the volatile nature of our business. I have danced on the knife's edge of whether I should cast my nets further afield, but after two years, Chattanooga is still my home. Seeing others depart is inducing a "Taking Stock" mindset. Within the last three months, three members of the team have left the company. The writing is clearly on the wall that the team as we have known it very likely shall not endure. I was joking with my colleague and friend Usha that our fate was to be like that of the musicians of the Titanic:
At last we know more about those brave fellows, the Titanic's musicians,
who in their firm belief in the power of music to avert or allay panic kept at
their appointed task until almost the last moment, if not, indeed, until the
all-engulfing wave swept over the wreck.

Yes, I can see it now... world-weary and stalwart programmers tapping out intricate harmonies of code as the world ends around us. It did not escape our notice that our current project is named TITAN. The universe is not without its sense of humor. Anyway, with all the uncertainty swirling around us, it was impossible for me to remain unpeturbed as yet another leaf fell from the tree. I really am not sure what I am supposed to be doing in this situation. I have many things to consider, many angles to look at this from. And it is incumbent on me to be strong and wise and calm. It was Mos Def who threw out this gem:

I navigate the treacherous and make it seem effortless.

Indeed. Do not panic. Do not be afraid. These are uncertain times for nearly all of us, but recall Psalms 91:7. No matter what, we are going to be alright. DO NOT PANIC.

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it
shall not come nigh thee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Soul Daddy said...

Nice, man. In similar times, I go to Ps. 119:165.

I think your strategy is right; the assertion that in times like these, panic has no place or purpose. Panic is only useful in emergency situations, and even then, only in short bursts.

As to your thoughts about what direction these changes mean you should go... I guess it's a matter of what place your job has in your life. If it's merely a means of providing for your family's life, then I don't understand the dilemma. In other words, why not continually be looking for a job that better serves that purpose, and if this one keeps winning, you'll stay there, until it doesn't serve that purpose for you as well.

But if you equate your job with a higher sense of purpose; a mission of some sort, well then the answer would be different. It's not that I think this is how you view your job, but some of your pontification makes it appear that way.

But more than anything, I know you to be immensely capable (as you've always been), and there is no job (or job market) in which you will not thrive, sir.

Perhaps these words sound like platitudes, but I speak from what I've known of you for all these years.

May 15, 2009 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home