Wednesday, July 27, 2005

YES!!!!

I'm sitting on top of the world. Why? Because I JAMMED on my CIS265 Midterm Exam, scoring all 600 points possible plus the 50 extra credit point for going the extra mile? No, rather because I smite my enemies all, from dawn til dusk. I played some of my best chess of the year last night. Pity my poor victims. One guy had 2 queens on the board against little old me, and he still could not stave off mate. I'm telling you, winning is not enough to get me this excited. It's the quality of the victories. Sacrifices galore, long range strategic planning, tactical virtuosity, superlative defensive countermeasures... it's just so sweeeeeeet!! In my last 15 games, I am 13-2. Phenomenal. I have to publish some of these games.

Another good thing that has me feeling good is my rendtion of the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby. I have loved that melody ever since I first laid ear upon it. Lots of people appreciate it, judging from the wide range of people who have done covers of it. Well, I was listening to some Stanley Jordan the other day, and thought to myself, surely I can figure out the melody and sequence it on my keyboard. In less than 10 minutes I had it, and threw together some drums underneath the piano, some drums that I am very fond of. I experimented with hip more techno/hiphop drums, where the snare is just... you know. But that didn't seem right for this song, so I went through my drum kits and found something similar to how drums sounded in the late 70's. The final stroke was to get out the bass and just fiddle around until I found a groove I liked. Mine were not too good, so I went and played Ray Charles' cover of the song and thought his bass guy did a fabulous job, so I just kinda bit his (imitation is the most sincere form of flattery). I love that way it sounds. I then played around with chords, and came up with a structure I liked. I am going to write some new lyrics to that baby. "All that you've accomplished, you realize it was in vain" Oh my. I might add some strings and brass, and definitely I am giving myself guitar and piano solos. There are few joys like music. And chess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home