Monday, February 28, 2005

All is Futile

This weekend I went to a renewal of vows ceremony and left with mixed feelings. On one hand, I see the need to do whatever it takes to strengthen a marriage, especially in these days of epidemic marital misery. Though on the other hand, I was left wondering what was the point. The couple who pledged their love anew to each other are good people, nice people. Like every other married couple I know beyond a perfunctory, surface level, they are grappling with some serious issues. I left wondering (morbidly) whether this wedding was all icing and no cake. Will things really change? Or will things revert to chaos as soon as the novelty wears off. I fear that I know the answer, and this knowledge brings me no joy. I think we are going to have to take more serious measures to save our marriages. Ugly measures. We are going to have to crucify and deny ourselves. We are going to have to humble ourselves and be willing to look like fools and punks. We are going to have to part company with a lot of our bad habits and thoughts. We are going to have to divest ourselves of the security in 'knowing' that we are always in the right, and that everything would be fine if they would just do things our way. If we don't start doing some seriously revolutionary activity, we are going to be doomed to misery, failure, divorce, depression, psychosis. How did I get this from this weekend's festivities? Oh, just trying to be observant and introspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home